Tuesday 26 July 2016

Parklife - An Homage

My daughter and I have begun making a pilgrimage to the park on almost a daily basis.

Most days it's just us, sometimes Daddy comes too, and recently we even met up with some other mother and baby buddies (when I discovered I apparently push the swings shockingly high for a nine-month-old... But she loves it!).

Anyway, I was thinking of a way to pay tribute to our new ritual in blog form, and have decided to take inspiration from one of the great poets of the Twentieth Century, Damon Albarn. 

So here is my reinterpretation of Parklife, through the eyes of a parent. Well, life is all a bit of a Blur these days...

Distraction is a preference for the habitual subscriber to what is known as...
(Parklife!)
And late afternoon meltdown can be avoided if you take a buggy straight to what is known as...
(Parklife!)
Jane's got neurotic mother syndrome, she gets intimidated by the rowdy older children on the roundabout, they love a bit of danger.
(Parklife!)
Who's that woman doing lunges with her pram?! You should cut down on your exercise mate, have an ice cream.
All the parents,
So many parents,
And they all go in desperation,
Exhaustedly through their Parklife.
Know what I mean?
I get up when I want, except pretty much everyday when I get rudely awakened by my baby shouting for attention.
(Parklife!)
I put my dirty leggings on, have at least three cups of coffee and I think about leaving the house.
(Parklife!)
I feed the ducks, I sometimes feed the pigeons and the seagulls too,
Forget feelings of well-being, it fills up the morning until lunchtime.
(Parklife!)
And I try to keep her happy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of time, once she's in bed, which I can devote to Netflix.
All the parents,
So many parents,
And they all go packed-lunch-under-the-pram,
Sleepwalking through their Parklife.
Parklife!
It's got nothing to do with the children's enjoyment, you know?
(Parklife!)
It's just something to do while every sodding baby group shuts down for the summer holidays and the weeks until September go on and on and on...
(Parklife!)
Altogether now:
All the parents,
So many parents,
And they all go hand-in-hand
With a tireless child through their Parklife. 
Admissions Of A Working Mother
Rhyming with Wine
Pink Pear Bear
The Pramshed

14 comments:

  1. hahaha this is brilliant and so bloody true !love it! thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofblog. make sure you come back next week as I want to read the next song take on motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this so much. Brilliant, especially the Netflix part which I can so relate at the moment. I did have a parklife routine as well when the kids were little and it was a lifesaver. #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty leggings, three cups of coffee before leaving the house, it's written ME ME ME all over this post! You made me feel like going to the park more often now. #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha- brilliant parody, love it! Actually off, hand in hand to the park now to push my toddler dangerously high and end run under swing 😀
    #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! Humming it takes me back to being at school... But this one is way more relevant! #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so good! Had me humming with nostalgia esp the exercising mum bit! #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Parklife is one of my favourite songs, was so in love with Damon (and Alex) when I was younger!
    Thanks for joining #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha this is great! I was singing it along in my head to the tune. Very creative, brilliant! It's so true though, all of it haha #StayClassyMama

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is BRILLIANT!!! I love it. And all so true! Can I share the link on my blogs Facebook page? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Yes, of course, please do share it. Xx

      Delete
  10. Loved this. You should commit it to audio. Funny, Parklife has been on my list of songs to parody myself for a while. Maybe one day ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehehehe! I love this, it's very clever, and probably the best parenting parody song I've ever seen! It's just all so true! I know every inch of our local park, and have a love/hate relationship with it! Love it because it's the only place that entertains the children for more than 5 minutes, but hate because I'm just so damn bored of the place now!! My inlaws live near Alex from Blur, and we've seen him a couple of times when we've visited-I always get very starstruck! I'd love to show him this-he's got 5 kids-he must totally get it surely (or his nanny will at least!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha - that's brilliant! I love it! I am spending far too much time at the park lately! #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely one of my faves from you! Actually laughed out loud and it reads so effortlessly, good flow haha. Totally understand Parklife, gotta get out of the house! Thanks for making me smile and sharing with #StayClassyMama!

    ReplyDelete