Wednesday 10 August 2016

12 Favourite Baby Toys Tried And Tested By An Expert

This week I took a big bag of toys to the charity shop. They were all items that we had been given second hand that made annoying noises - some of which didn't even have an off switch - and if my daughter had ever given them a second glance, she had lost interest pretty fast. Something tells me those particular toys will never have a home for life.

A study in 2010 found the average child owned 238 toys but only played with a core favourite 12 on a daily basis.

This led me to ponder my ten-month-old daughter's favourite toys.

So here they are, in no particular order (her preferences vary anyway). Tried and tested by an expert - if you count a baby as an authority on what they like to play with.

1. My hair
Easily accessible, portable, good to chew on and great fun to yank and maul into a bird's nest. She never seems to lose interest in my hair. Except occasionally when she moves on to trying to poke at my eyeballs.

2. Glasses
Those on people's faces, but also sunglasses that have been left unattended and just out of reach. She relishes the challenge of getting hold of them and can then find opening the arms and trying to snap them off fascinating for ages. She has a toy pair of giant red glasses, but for some reason they don't hold the same appeal.

3. A plastic bottle
Her first significant crawl was made across the floor in pursuit of my water bottle. Give her a room full of toys and she will almost always head straight for the bottle. The ridged lids apparently give her more comfort than any of her teething toys.

4. The doorstop
The filthy, old, wooden doorstop that was wedging open our kitchen door when we moved in. No amount of scrubbing it with antibacterial wash will ever get it looking truly clean, and yet she'd rather put that in her mouth then any of the other toys I set out on the floor in a bid to tempt her. Time to buy a new doorstop...

5. My handbag
Whether it's just a yank on the strap or a full root through and unpack, my handbag is a bottomless pit of entertainment as far as she is concerned. Except for the toys in it - they are always the first things to be cast aside as she dives in for a pen or my wallet.

6. The bath plug
It doesn't matter how full the bath is of bright plastic ducks and buckets and bubbles, the plug is always there glistening at the bottom, drawing her towards it.

7. The Sudocream tub
You haven't lived until you've played Sudo Bongos.

8. The Lidl special offers leaflet
She loves to read, any book or paper will do. But the Lidl leaflet offers a special source of intrigue. She likes to peruse it slowly and in detail, perhaps planning next week's shop? Before shredding it up into a million pieces.

9. Mobile phone or tablet
Not to watch videos of Peppa Pig but just to gaze at, grab hold of and drool on. It is her biggest contender for our attention and so she is understandably enthralled.

10. A packet of wet wipes
She hates having her face wiped and will whine as soon as she sees me reach for the packet. But in her own hands it's another matter. It comes in as a handy distraction technique for stopping her grabbing my hair or rolling away while she has her nappy changed.

11. Socks
The answer to that age old question of, 'Why is there always an odd sock in the laundry basket?', is so obvious. My daughter threw one off somewhere between the bus stop and our front door.

12. Stones
No stone is too big, too small, too dirty or too far away. What at first seems a great free and readily available way of keeping her occupied as she rakes them up, throws them, piles them or rolls them, always backfires when she eventually puts one in her mouth. And the more she is told, 'No', the more tasty they become.

What is your child's favourite thing to play with?
Rhyming with Wine
The Secret Diary of Agent Spitback

10 comments:

  1. Ha love this! My nearly 7 month old loves a pack of baby wipes!! #fartglitter xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha love this! My nearly 7 month old loves a pack of baby wipes!! #fartglitter xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I could have written this list for my baby! Leaflets (actually any paper) are a big problem in our household as she likes to chew them, I really can't see what would be nice about chewing a piece of paper?!? Thank you for linking to #bigpinklink x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant 😂😂😂
    Totally nodding in agreement with this.
    My 2.5 year old even loves random stuff to play with still. Pots and pans, boxes, blankets...
    Who needs 4350 toys?! 😉😂
    Just wish the grandparents would take notice and stop buying enormous plastic toys 😉😂
    Loved Reading this.
    #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wires. Always the sodding wires. #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything dangerous or forbidden. When he was at the chewing stage it was the mankier the better. I once turned around to find him chowing down on someone's old flip flop. Yum.

    #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUP. The hair and the sudocream tub. Why the sudocream? I don't get it. Is it the shape or the grindy edges on the side? The smell?! Can they make a toy like this?! He also loves chewing on my hand and anything that is NOT a teething toy. Thanks for the laugh and sharing with #StayClassyMama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so fed up of having my hair pulled! And my earrings grabbed (even studs), and my fingers being yanked into her mouth - my child will chop on anything and everything, she'd better get some teeth soon so I can stop wet-wiping my hair clean! Thanks for linking to #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buying a good toy for the baby is not that simple. You have to think intelligently for that. Toys must be giving some lessons to the child and it would be entertaining too. Babies don't decide to play with expensive toys. Well, they even don't know which toy is expensive. Nourishing the child well can lead to a better and successful person. Thanks for the efficient suggestions for the toys. There are a number of good online e-commerce sites available, you can go to these sites and order according to your need, desire,styles, colors exactly the way you want.
    Baby Daily Deals

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really amazing article.

    ReplyDelete